I received Mandy’s Story back from the editor a few days ago. It’s now in the hands of a beta reader and I’m waiting for her opinion, suggestions, and hopefully an extra eye out for those pesky typos. I’m crossing my fingers at this point because the book is ahead of schedule and if everything continues smoothly, Mandy will release early.
Many people might not realize what goes into self-publishing a book. If writing the story was all I had to do, there would be double the volumes in the series. Someday, I want to release the paperback with the e-edition but unfortunately time gets away from me and for now, it’s not possible.
Every author has a different method to their madness but I thought I would share mine with you…
- Story pops into brain (this interrupts sleep, relaxing showers, bathroom unmentionables, and even conversations that I have no idea what anyone said. This is especially true when speaking to my husband).
- Write the first chapter.
- Order the cover (I’m visual and like matching my character descriptions to the cover photo).
- Re-write first chapter.
- Write some more.
- Contact editor and schedule her time (this puts me on a deadline and I work better this way though no one wants to be around me when I’m behind schedule)
- Reach halfway point.
- Re-read then re-write up until halfway point.
- Write some more.
- Take a day off from writing to read something mindless because I can’t work out something in the story.
- Can’t sleep and eat too much because of story issue.
- Find a solution at the most inappropriate time (hold on, don’t put me under yet, I’ve just figured out the problem and need to write it down!)
- Start sweating because deadline is approaching.
- Yell at my husband for something stupid.
- Finish story.
- Go through book from start to finish and fix unseen problems.
- Send off to editor.
- Write synopsis and dedication.
- Pace continually until book comes back from editor.
- Sit down to go through her edits.
- Feel really, really stupid.
- Finish edits.
- Send off to beta reader and wait for her opinion.
- Tell beta reader she needs to stay off Facebook because she’s too busy reading my book.
- Receive book from beta.
- Look at her corrections, bite tongue, and make them.
- Format for my Kindle, upload, and read it through one last time making last minute corrections.
- Take day off work to format for Amazon, B&N, ARE, KOBO, and Smashwords.
- Upload to Amazon, B&N, and KOBO (these sights take 24 to 48 hours for book to go live).
- When book is live, upload to ARE and Smashwords (they are instantaneous).
- Send book to a long list of reviewers and cross my fingers.
- Post everywhere in the universe that my new book is out.
- Drink wine… switch to tequila… pass out and dream of next book
Soooo… I’ll have Mandy’s story out as soon as possible. I’m very excited for everyone to read it!
Update on my Update Received Mandy back from beta since scheduling this update to post. How does next Thursday sound for release? July 18th. THIS is the best part about being self-published!